– The Bridgespan Group, with support from the Omidyar Network, has undertaken what is believed to be the first data-driven study of NGO leadership development in India. In this report, titled, “Building the Bench at Indian NGOs: Investing to Fill the Leadership Development Gap,” they identified a significant, systemic gap between the sector’s leadership development aspirations and the reality of efforts and investments by both NGOs and funders.
According to Pritha Venkatachalam, a partner at Bridgespan and one of the report’s authors, “The implications are hard-hitting, as the absence of a ‘leadership bench’ threatens these organizations’ sustainability and long-term scalability.” Bridgespan’s survey included approximately 250 leaders from Indian NGOs and the Indian offices of international NGOs-supplemented with more than 50 interviews of NGO funders and intermediaries and secondary research.
A full 97 percent of NGOs surveyed said that leadership development is vital to their organization’s success, but more than half believe they are not capable of recruiting, developing, and transitioning leaders, nor have they received funding to do so. “The result is a trend of under-equipped NGO leadership, with high dependence on a single leader-often the founder-and no second line,” said Pritha.
After raising concerns about this underinvestment, the Bridgespan study also charts a path to address them. Said Danielle Berfond, Bridgespan case team leader and the report’s co-author, “We have seen some NGOs and funders taking the initiative to close the leadership development gap, and we believe these practices can be replicated across the sector to bolster leadership teams.”
The path forward outlined by Bridgespan emphasizes NGOs developing leaders from within and funders providing them with the money, motivation, and required supports.
For NGOs, Bridgespan proposes institutionalizing a set of “Four Practices”: building out a supportive culture and organization; mapping leadership development needs; providing development opportunities that emphasize on-the-job learning; and setting goals and monitoring progress.
“But NGOs cannot do this alone,” said Ingrid Srinath, director of the Centre for Social Impact and Philanthropy (CSIP) at Ashoka University. “Funders must play a critical role in supporting NGOs and building the ecosystem for greater focus on leadership development.” The study presents six specific recommendations for funders.
“None of this will be easy or immediate,” said Pritha, “But Indian NGOs are entering an era when ‘doing good’ is no longer good enough. In order to increase impact, NGOs and funders need to invest today in practices that can nurture the strong leaders of tomorrow.”
Notes to Editor
About The Bridgespan Group
The Bridgespan Group (www.bridgespan.org) is a global nonprofit organization that collaborates with mission-driven organizations and philanthropists to break cycles of poverty and dramatically improve the quality of life for those in need. Our services include strategy consulting, leadership development, philanthropy advising, and developing and sharing practical insights. We have offices in Boston, Mumbai, New York and San Francisco.
Related Press Releases:
- Umesh Revankar of Shriram Transport Finance Company voted as “Indian Affairs Most Transformational Leader & Change Agent 2017” at India Leadership Conclave 2017
- KonnectCo HR Software Coming up with the latest upgraded HCM Software and also giving 1 year free trial
- Industry-Academia Collaboration between Cisco and Institute of Product Leadership
- Indian model from Pune, Cheryl Charles wins Miss World Next Top Model 2017
- Sstorm: Aims to Bring Niche Global Products to Indian Market
- HPCL celebrats 71st Independence Day
- NRLM has the potential to bridge the critical gap between development and the marginalized: Prnabjyoti Nath
- ACOEM Group opens two new subsidiaries in Germany and India
- Secure Yourself the Most Coveted Spot at Sea This Summer; Watch the Great American Eclipse from RCI’s Oasis of the Seas
- Network bags the creative mandate for Mahindra Lifespace Developers
- Ease of Doing Business in India – Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi with his New Team of Ministers aims for NEW INDIA by 2022
- IDT’s Technical Leaders to Present and Showcase Latest mmWave Solutions at IEEE 5G Summit Dresden
- tnext Forays into LFR Segment, Ties-up with myG, my generation digital hub
- IncubateIND launches India’s largest Aviation Hackathon
- Payza Implements Enhanced Bitcoin Services and Also Introduces Use of Altcoins
- Global Laptop Coolers Market Dynamics, Forecast, Analysis and Supply Demand 2017- Acute Market Reports
- Indian Art Ideas Proudly Declares Bahadur Singh as ‘Artist of the Month’ for July 2017
- Array Networks Achieves Industry-Leading ECC Performance with New Line of AppVelocity-E Application Delivery Controllers
- Director Suneet Vohra launches Educational Episodic Films on the Dynasties that ruled India from 1200 AD to 1700 AD in association with Tribhuvan Trilok Films
- Compuware and Wipro Jointly Launch a Mainframe Center of Excellence
- New therapeutic mechanism developed for Cancer Immunotherapy
- TYC Communication bags the PR mandate for AppsDiscover Technologies
- ‘For Justice To Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose And I.N.A. …On 21st October, 2017… “Chalo Delhi”
- News18 India’s Sting exposes Corruption in Uttar Pradesh’s Mining Department
- 3rd Edition of Women of India Organic Festival at Dilli Haat, INA Will Promote Women Farmers & Entrepreneurs
- 300 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh Certified by Yoga Alliance USA
- Siemens adds three new hematology systems to its portfolio of scalable solutions in India
- Bombardier’s FlightLink System for C Series Aircraft Showing Strong Benefits as Fleet of In-service Jetliners Grows
- Bombardier Commercial Aircraft’s New 20-Year 2017-2036 Market Forecast Shows Strong Opportunities for the 60- to 150- Seat Segment
- HirePro Consulting is now a member of NASSCOM
- SAINT HONORE Opéra is Ideal for the Stylish Woman
- Ulysse Nardin Presents Classico Zheng He
- Consumer Voice Thanks Arun Jaitely For Increasing CESS On Cigarettes
- Louis Moinet Salutes The Spirit Of Singapore With Exclusive Limited Edition Series
- The Region’s Largest B2B Trade Show Covering The Entire Range Of Stationery And Office Supplies
- Short Awareness Film ‘Stay Alive’ Releases on 25th July, 2017
- Fura Enters Into Agreement to Acquire Mozambican Ruby Licences
- Unveiling The Gold Medals Of Yidan Prize Created by Internationally Renowned Graphic Designer Kan Tai-keung
- ObjectFrontier Named to Inc. 5000 List of Fastest-Growing Companies in America for Third Year in a Row
- Eberhard & Co. presents elegant Extra-fort Grande Taille
- SAVE THE DATE: Yidan Prize Summit The world’s largest educational prize inaugural summit Hong Kong, 10-11 December, 2017
- IDT’s Flexible Timing Solution Provides Valuable Design Margin for 10Gbps, and 40/100Gbps Multi-lane Interfaces
- New MOST® Technology Intelligent Network Interface Controller enables daisy-chain communications in automotive applications
- Cyberinc included in “Cool Vendor” list by Gartner in Endpoint, Mobile, Network and Gateway Security, 2017
- Destination Adventure. Indian national qualifier for BMW Motorrad International GS Trophy to debut in Goa
- OMG! Has Ramya Pranjali Tanna been selected for Bigg Boss 11, as Salman Khan personally interviews shortlisted inmates?
- Global smart factory market to reach USD 74.80 billion by 2020
- Aurionpro reports strong growth in EBITDA with sustained business momentum; IP-driven strategy yielding results
- Q1 FY18 Results of Godrej Properties Limited
- Deepika Arora awarded at India Leadership Conclave 2017 as Transformational Woman Business Leader 2017